- [14 JAN 2021] blog entry created & MUCH updates are still required…..
A few good resources that I have been collecting during my flying training. I hope they will help you to polish your skills and get up to standard. I will update this blog entry continuously, therefore I hope you come back to see what I have been adding. However, I don’t take any responsibility if you follow those guidelines and you end up in an incipient spin at 50 AGL. But I did my best to publish all the materials as thoroughly as possible.
A must read, before you even enter the cockpit. A must re-read, after the RPL, and a must re-read after the PPL 😊
- Stick and Rudder: An Explanation of the Art of Flying – Langewiesche, Wolfgang | 8601400848357 | Amazon.com.au | Books – definitely a must read from Wolfgang Langewiesche – Wikipedia!
Here are some great links that I follow(ed) regularly:
- Cindy Hollman, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQMrUsKrhTIx94S9JgkFM2w – she has all the flight briefings that you need up to PPL and further. A great resource – and one of the very best YouTube channels that I found!
- Jacobson Flare Landing, http://www.jacobsonflare.com/: despite I found his mobile phone app extraordinary expensive, and his advice to use ’power for speed’, and ‘attitude for height’ not really useful – he is right in many points in terms of landings. I adopted his technique, but still use power for height and attitude for speed. But it improved my landings tremendously, after watching his talk: (881) The Jacobson Flare at Box Hill Institute – 20 Sep 2016 – YouTube. He is so right in many points – a very wise man!
Here are some major Australian resources if you want to kick start flying:
- Bob Tate’s Website: Bob Tait’s Aviation Theory School – Home– be aware, that the online shop for his CASA test-exams is quite ‘hidden’, but definitely go through those, before you go to CASA’s exams…
- Pilot’s Practice Exams: Pilot Practice Exams RAA RPL PPL CPL IREX ATPL
- ERSA: Aeronautical Information Package – Airservices (airservicesaustralia.com)
- AIP: Aeronautical Information Package – Airservices (airservicesaustralia.com)
- CASA’s online shop: CASA Online Store – CASA Online store – they have quite some stuff for free, especially the old free Flight Safety Magazines are worthwhile to read
- Airservices Australia: Home – Airservices (airservicesaustralia.com)
- RAAus: Home – RAAus
- CAA’s online resources (Flight Instructor Guide): Flight instructor guide | aviation.govt.nz – I know it’s not an Australian resource, but from our good friends from New Zealand, but the slide sets for instructors are remarkable!
- CAA’s Good Aviation Practice Booklets: Good Aviation Practice booklets | aviation.govt.nz – I found them really great during the RPL! Spin avoidance, bird hazards, take off/landing performance, W&B, and meteorology easy and simply explained. A really great resource!
Some Things that I Created – Feel Free to Use them!
Navigation Sheet (beta version)
To move away from hand-written Nav boards, I have been creating a PDF version. It’s currently in ‘beta version’, thus there is still a bit to do. Note, that I created this form with having a C172 or
- Flight Plan Template (Beta Version January 2021)
- Flight Plan Template Example (Beta Version January 2021)
Come back in February 2021, and I will have: automated fuel calculations, pressure height calculations, TODR, LDR, traverse the form fields with the tab key, EET, SAR, W&B, etc.
Some Things That are Still Coming
- POH Cessna 172:
- POH Cessna 152: