For quite some time I have been investigating ‘ambient media’ – media empowered by ubiquitous and pervasive computers. The term ‘ambient’ refers to “ambient intelligence”, a research initiative from the EU. Ambient media are media objects embedded throughout our natural environment. I investigated theories, technologies, business impact, and effects on human-computer-interaction in ambient environments.
- Collaborators: rather many….
- Workshops: Semantic Ambient Media Experience (SAME) series
- Weblinks: [iAMEA – international Ambient Media Association]
- Key Publications:
- Lugmayr, E. Serral, A. Scherp, B. Pogorelc, and M. Mustaquim, “Ambient media today and tomorrow,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol. 71, 2014, pp. 7–37 Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11042-012-1346-z.
- Lugmayr, E. Serral, A. Scherp, B. Pogorelc, and M. Mustaquim, “Ambient media today and tomorrow,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, 2013, pp. 1–31 Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11042-012-1346-z.
- Pogorelc, A. Lugmayr, B. Stockleben, R.-D. Vatavu, N. Tahmasebi, E. Serral, E. Stojmenova, B. Imperl, T. Risse, G. Zenz, and M. Gams, “Ambient bloom: new business, content, design and models to increase the semantic ambient media experience,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol. 66, 2013, pp. 7–32 Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11042-012-1228-4.
- Lugmayr, Y. Zou, B. Stockleben, K. Lindfors, and C. Melakoski, “Categorization of ambient media projects on their business models, innovativeness, and characteristicsâ€”evaluation of Nokia Ubimedia MindTrek Award Projects of 2010,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol. 66, 2013, pp. 33–57 Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11042-012-1143-8.
- Lugmayr, “Connecting the real world with the digital overlay with smart ambient media—applying peirce’s categories in the context of ambient media,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol. 58, pp. 385–398, 2012. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11042-010-0671-3
- Pogorelc, R.-D. Vatavu, A. Lugmayr, B. Stockleben, T. Risse, J. Kaario, E. Lomonaco, and M. Gams, “Semantic ambient media: From ambient advertising to ambient-assisted living,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol. 58, pp. 399–425, 2012. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11042-011-0917-8
- Lugmayr, B. Stockleben, T. Risse, J. Kaario, and B. Pogorelc, “New business, design and models to create semantic ambient media experiences,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, pp. 1–5, 2012. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11042-012-1239-1
- Lugmayr, T. Risse, B. Stockleben, K. Laurila, and J. Kaario, Semantic ambient media—an introduction. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 2009. DOI: 10.1007/s11042-009-0282-z, http://www.springerlink.com/content/5616q8274l340375.
From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_media): “Ambient media in a larger scale define the media environment and the communication of information in ubiquitous and pervasive environments. The concept of ambient media relates to ambient media form, ambient media content, and ambient media technology. These new technologies are based on ambient intelligent technology and create new possibilities in ambient advertising. Its principles are manifestation, morphing, intelligence, and experience and have been defined by Artur Lugmayr  and its business models are described in Multimedia Tools and Applications.“